Hans Brockhage & Mart Stam rocking chair / car 1949 - 1950
Height: 40 cm
Width: 99 cm
Depth: 37 cm
This is for a very important and ingenious kid’s car / rocking chair is designed by student Hans Brockhage and Erwin Andrä. Both studied at the School of Visual Arts in Dresden. The kid’s car is designed under the supervision of Mart Stam who held a toy design seminar in Dresden. In 1956, the kid’s car received the "Spiel Gut 'price for the special design. This version with red lacquered wooden wheels finished with rubber tires is the first edition. A metal version is was recently exhibited during an exhibition in Gotha on Bauhauskünstler by Marianne Brandt and Wolfgang Tümpel. The car has a beech bentwood frame, plywood seat with red wooden wheels and rubber tires which are still in amazing original condition.
Hans Brockhage (1925 - 2009) was severely wounded during World War II and began a study as a sculptor in 1945. From 1947 to 1952 he studied at the School of Visual Arts in Dresden led by Mart Stam. Erwin Andrä (1921) began as a modeller and studied and taught after the war in Dresden at the School of Forestry and Toy Design. In the 60s he became director of the Institute for Toys Sonneberg and later became head teacher at a school for industrial design. He was committed to designing children's toys and after his retirement he continued giving guest lectures in Estonia and at the College of Arts and Design in Hanoi, Vietnam. Mart Stam (1899 - 1986) Dutch furniture designer and architect was the designer of the first cantilever, tubular steel chair. Stam felt that the functionality and practicality of a building came first. The building had to serve mankind. With this vision, he ended up in the Soviet Union where he worked from 1930 to 1934. In 1948 he moved to the GDR, where he founded an institute for industrial design and was director of the Kunsthochschule Weissensee. In the GDR, he met Hans Brockhage and Erwin Andrä where he designed the 'Schaukelwagen’ with.